NMB commissioners vote to send scathing report on mayor to state investigators

North Miami Beach commission votes to send scathing report on mayor to state investigators

NORTH MIAMI BEACH, Fla. — The North Miami Beach City Commission held a vote during a meeting on Tuesday night.

Commissioners voted to send a report to state investigators and requesting they look into potential ethics, and even criminal violations by Mayor Michael Joseph.

The sprawling 32-page interim report put together by an independent law firm concludes Joseph put the city at “substantial legal, financial, and ethical risk.”

The firm interviewed multiple city employees, one of whom accused Joseph of upgrading a flight to Japan to first class, costing the city $3,000.

Another employee alleged Joseph tried to change official records of recent city manager interviews.

They claim Joseph called them and demanded they disconnect recording equipment and edit the recordings of the interviews.

The report also accuses Joseph of skirting city rules, inappropriately influencing which vendors were selected for jobs.

“It is deeply concerning the allegations, but they’re still allegations, we have to leave time for due process,” said Commissioner Lynn Su.

Su voted in favor of sending the report to the state attorney’s office, and the Florida Commission on Ethics for investigation.

“We are doing what we think is right, to save our public trust and to make sure the public is assured North Miami Beach is spending their money correctly,” she said.

Joseph himself joined in voting to send the report.

“For all transparency and for my own peace of mind, I want to clear this up,” Joseph said. “That’s why I’m saying let’s push this through, I really want to get a unanimous approach to this.”

He previously sent Local 10 News a statement, which read:

“This report is inaccurate and feels more like political theater than an actual investigation. It’s disappointing that the people’s business is being sidetracked by these tactics. What’s especially concerning is that I’m the only person named in the report, even though other elected officials and senior staff are mentioned multiple times. Any conclusions based on this rushed, incomplete report are unfair and premature.”

READ THE FULL REPORT BELOW:

Nmb Interim Report.final (1)

Copyright 2026 by WPLG Local10.com - All rights reserved.

About The Author
Byron Tollefson

Byron Tollefson

Byron Tollefson joined Local 10 News as a reporter in July 2025.