Despite ruling, analysts warn tariff battle is far from over

Supreme Court's strikedown not the last word on tariffs, analysts say

MIAMI BEACH, Fla. — Despite Friday’s U.S. Supreme Court ruling striking down President Donald Trump’s far-reaching global tariffs, the battle over tariffs is far from over.

Trump lashed out Friday at the 6-3 ruling. The majority ruled that Congress - not the executive branch - has the power to impose tariffs. A defiant Trump said he will press forward by other means, including imposing a 10% global tariff by executive order.

“I think the important thing to know is that we are not ending with this decision today,” Jason Marczak, the vice president and senior director of the Atlantic Council’s Adrienne Arsht Latin America Center, told Local 10 News. “There’s going to be continued movement on the tariff question. I think Trump was pretty clear that he has other tools in the toolbox; the president has other powers to be able to enact his economic plan, other than the tariffs thus far.”

The ruling and Trump’s response will likely inject more uncertainty into an already complicated global trade policy era, Marczak explained.

“Private businesses have changed their business models to be able to adapt to the tariffs, so I think a lot of CEOs and boardrooms will be thinking over the course of the weekend, ‘How do we re-adjust right now?’” he said. “But, since the president did say to expect other tools, I think there will be a wait-and-see on what President Trump’s next actions will be.”

Local 10 News also spoke to Jeffrey Hall, the chairman of Jamaican shipping company Kingston Wharves and the CEO of the Pan-Jamaica Group for a Caribbean perspective.

“We are of the view that trade with the US is extremely important. We appreciate and accept that there will be policy movements that will dictate that trade and we have to take a closer look at where that goes,” Hall said.

There is also uncertainty on how the decision could affect a series of trade agreements Trump made when he wielded tariffs as a way to extract concessions.

It comes as some small business owners applauded the ruling, saying they just didn’t have the margins to absorb the added cost.

On Thursday, JPMorganChase found that mid-size firms in the U.S. are being hit hard.

Their monthly tariff payments have tripled since early 2025 ― costs a recent New York Federal Reserve Bank analysis found are passed down to the consumer.

Marczak said there are a “lot of variables” that will dictate whether Americans see price relief.

The Constitution says the power to set tariffs is assigned to Congress. Some small business owners have already called for swift refunds, but the court did not weigh in on whether or how the federal government should provide refunds to U.S. importers who have paid billions in tariffs.

Copyright 2026 by WPLG Local10.com - All rights reserved.

About The Author
Christina Vazquez

Christina Vazquez

Christina returned to Local 10 in 2019 as a reporter after covering Hurricane Dorian for the station. She is an Edward R. Murrow Award-winning journalist and previously earned an Emmy Award while at WPLG for her investigative consumer protection segment "Call Christina."