Miami-Dade superintendent defends against allegations over donation
MIAMI, Fla. – Miami-Dade Schools superintendent spoke out about the allegations into money donated to his non-profit foundation by an online platform that received a no-bid contract from the school district. “Some of the recent headlines are hurtful,” Carvalho said Friday, taking a break from handing out school supplies and backpacks at Holmes Elementary School. The superintendent said the money was to be used to give schoolteachers a $100 gift card. The school district’s inspector general Mary Kagle is now looking into the donation, which was made before K12 finalized its contract with the Miami-Dade Public Schools — a $15 million no-bid contract. The superintendent has said the foundation would keep the money despite dumping K12.
This Week in South Florida: Miami-Dade Schools Superintendent Alberto Carvalho
PEMBROKE PARK, Fla. Last week we learned that schools in Broward County would open virtually with online learning beginning on Aug. 19. This week Miami-Dade County said ditto, though postponed the start of the new school year until Aug. 31, gauging COVID-19 trends are just not safe for the classroom yet. Now teachers, students and families face a host of new logistics, concerns and questions. Hear what Carvalho had to say in the video at the top of this page.
Miami-Dade schools prepares for reopening with spaced-out seating during pandemic
MIAMI – Superintendent Alberto Carvalho said Friday Miami-Dade County Public Schools is preparing to follow the new guidelines released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention during the coronavirus pandemic. CDC Guidelines for School (CDC Guidelines for School)District employees will be testing students’ temperatures before they are allowed into the bus and school, Carvalho said. During the Recover phase, the district will be holding virtual Summer School from June 8 to July 10. During the Restart phase, students who demonstrate low levels of academic performance, as well as students with learning disabilities and English language learners would return to school on July 27. For more updates from Miami-Dade County Public Schools, visit this page.
Miami-Dade Public Schools plans virtual graduation ceremony
MIAMI-DADE COUNTY, Fla. – During a speech to the Class of 2020, Miami-Dade Superintendent Alberto Carvalho said they are planning a virtual graduation ceremony. "We are currently planning a virtual celebration ceremony of all of your accomplishments, individually celebrating each one of you." Amanda Milian is a senior at Miami’s Slam Academy and feared she wouln’t have any graduation at all. "Now with this new news, everybody is pretty happy that we still have a chance of getting that physical graduation," Milian said. Superintendent Robert Runcie sent out a tweet on Saturday, promising to announce their graduation plans later this week.
Miami-Dade County public schools to close Monday, Carvalho says
MIAMI-DADE COUNTY, Fla. – Superintendent Alberto Carvalho announced on Friday Miami-Dade County public schools will be temporarily closed starting Monday, but the community feeding plan for children will be open and running at school cafeterias. Carvalho said a COVID-19 case applied to a patient who interacted with children in Miami-Dade County public schools. This is a developing story.