FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — A Broward judge has granted bond to a man accused of driving drunk and causing a deadly crash near downtown Fort Lauderdale in March, a decision that has alarmed the victim’s family.
The crash happened March 25 near Southwest Seventh Avenue and Broward Boulevard.
Police said 33-year-old Kristopher David, a father of two, was driving a white BMW when a black Audi allegedly driven by 20-year-old Dominick Rella ran a red light.
Surveillance video captured the collision.
Investigators said Rella was driving nearly 83 mph in a 35-mph zone when he crashed into David’s vehicle, sending it into a nearby firetruck.
David died in the crash.
His mother pleaded in court for justice and asked that Rella remain behind bars.
“I don’t want another mother to go through what I’m going through right now because of his reckless driving. I lost my only child,” she said.
Still, the judge expressed concerns before ultimately granting bond.
Rella has since been released from jail.
Investigators believe his blood alcohol level was twice the legal limit at the time of the crash.
He now faces 11 charges, including DUI manslaughter.
Court records also showed Rella had been accused in a careless driving crash in 2024 and had an open speeding ticket from February.
David had been engaged and was planning to get married this fall.
“He was my little baby,” his mother said. “And this loss has affected me and his father who suffers with dementia very badly. And his two children.”
She said the family continues to struggle in the aftermath of the crash.
“I’m not sleeping. It’s very hard,” she said. “And I pray no one else will have to go through what I’m going through.”
As part of his release conditions, the judge ordered Rella not to drive, drink alcohol or leave the area. He is also being monitored by GPS.
Copyright 2026 by WPLG Local10.com - All rights reserved.
