Pepper spray fills classroom at G. Holmes Braddock Senior High School

School spokesman says student accidentally discharged pepper spray

By Peter Burke - Local10.com Managing Editor, Saira Anwer - Reporter

MIAMI-DADE COUNTY, Fla. - Miami-Dade Fire Rescue treated 25 patients who were "exposed to an irritant" at G. Holmes Braddock Senior High School.

John Schuster, a spokesman for Miami-Dade County Public Schools, said a student accidentally discharged a can of pepper spray in a classroom.

Schuster said the student would be disciplined because pepper spray isn't allowed at school. 

Miami-Dade Fire Rescue said all the patients were treated at the school and didn't have to go to a hospital.

According to authorities, the pepper spray was water-based, not oil-based, so the symptoms were less severe.

"Based on the factors of the distance to where the pepper spray was actually let go of, some of the patients had almost no symptoms," Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Lt. Kirsten Miller said. "The ones that were a little bit closer did have water in the eyes and more of an irritant, but it's very short-lasting. So after a short period of time, the symptoms go away."

Local 10 News was told that some students were picked up by their parents while others returned to class. 

Copyright 2019 by WPLG Local10.com - All rights reserved.