New non-travel Zika virus case transmitted outside Wynwood zone
Case among 3 reported in Miami-Dade County
MIAMI – Three new non-travel related cases of the Zika virus have been accounted for in Miami-Dade County.
However, one of the people infected was exposed outside the so-called "Zika zone" where the previous transmissions had taken place.
The Florida Department of Health did not disclose in which part of Miami-Dade County the non-Wynwood transmission took place.
The previously marked zone north of downtown Miami is an area less than one-square mile.
The total number of non-travel related infections now stands at 28.
The announcement comes a day after state health officials cleared an additional four blocks in the Wynwood zone.
That area of concentration is between Northwest Fifth Avenue and Biscayne Boulevard to Northwest 38th and Northwest 20th streets.
Business owners and employees in the popular arts district welcome the return of tourism, which has taken a hit because of Zika virus fears.
Saturday night marks the return of the Wynwood Art Walk.
"I don't really know what's going to happen," gallery owner Andrea Pasin told Local 10 News. "Some people will come and some people, maybe they will decide not to come."
Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos Gimenez sent a letter Friday to Gov. Rick Scott asking for an estimated $6 million reimbursement of county funds used to combat the Zika virus, which included aerial and ground mosquito spraying.
Tourists who spoke to Local 10 said they applied bug repellant before walking around Wynwood.
U.S. Surgeon General Dr. Vivek Murthy also came to Miami, saying that he was "very concerned about the Zika virus."
Murthy, who was raised in Miami-Dade County, met with concerned pregnant women.
Developer, philanthropist and art collector Moishe Mana remains undaunted.
"It's something we have to deal with -- always crisis in life," he said.
Copyright 2016 by WPLG Local10.com - All rights reserved.