Man dies after ignoring new tattoo advice, catches infection from ocean
A man who had just received a new tattoo died days later after ignoring advice to avoid swimming in the ocean for at least two weeks.
The unidentified 31-year-old man developed sepsis when his 5-day-old tattoo became infected while swimming in the Gulf of Mexico.
The Daily Mail reports the wound on the man's skin became contaminated with a flesh-eating bacteria, tearing chunks out of his skin.
The man was given antibiotics, but after 24 hours in the hospital his organs began to fail and he was placed on life support.
Doctors believed he was getting better after a two-week stay in the hospital, but the man died weeks later after succumbing to septic shock.
Those with new tattoos are urged to wait two weeks before going swimming in any kind of water.
Copyright 2017 by WPLG Local10.com - All rights reserved.