Man suffers severe injuries after e-cigarette explodes in mouth

By Jeff Tavss - Executive Producer
Headline Goes Here CNN

OAHU, Hawaii - A man lost four teeth and suffered serious injuries after an e-cigarette exploded in his mouth.

Matt Yamashita, 25, told KHNL of Oahu that he had taken his first puff from the e-cigarette on Sunday when it blew up in his face.

Yamashita, who says he switched to e-cigs about five years ago, suffered burns and required 40 stitches to sew up his mouth after the incident.

"My right hand was burning, it was black," Yamashita told the station. "I just heard loud ringing in both my ears and I just saw a flash then I was spitting out blood and I was just in shock."

Copyright 2017 by WPLG Local10.com - All rights reserved.