wplg logo

Semi truck overturns, slams into Miami-Dade house

FHP: 4 transported to Jackson Memorial Hospital's Ryder Trauma Center

IVES ESTATES, Fla. – The Florida Highway Patrol is investigating what caused a semi truck hauling Coca-Cola to overturn and crash into a house.

The incident happened Friday evening around 8 p.m. at Ives Dairy Road and Northeast 15th Court in Ives Estates.

According to FHP, the semi truck lost control and collided with a red Mercedes before it slammed into the house, causing structural damage.

Crews were working to shore up the house, in what they had declared a red zone with 50 to 100 gallons of fuel spilled, along with bottles of soda.

Authorities said four people were injured and transported to Jackson Memorial Hospital's Ryder Trauma Center, with what appears to be non-life threatening injuries.

Nicholas Smith and his family told Local 10's Baron James that from inside their home next door, they not only felt, heard and smelled all of the crashing commotion outside.

"We came outside and saw the truck inside the house," said Smith. "First, I thought it was an earthquake. It shook the house. I heard like a boom and we smelled a whole bunch of gasoline."

Smith said they live next door to the house the truck slammed into, with two women inside, one of them pregnant.

"One of them said they saw the truck coming," said a woman. "She said she was just about to sit and saw the truck coming and that part of the house is where the truck slammed into it."

Authorities said multiple people were injured in Friday evening's incident.

"There were four injuries, one somewhat serious and the other three minor injuries" said Fire Rescue Chief Dan Guffey.

Miami-Dade Fire Rescue has sprayed the overturned truck and the immediate area with white foam to prevent a fire or explosion.

Crews then set up a temporary hot zone around the house to inspect the structural damage and make sure the house was safe, so the tow trucks could come in and haul away the truck.

"And it was amazing the driver got out," said the woman.

"It's not as bad as it looks," said Sgt. Alvaro Feola of FHP. "But thank God nobody got seriously hurt."

Full Screen
1 / 8