PEMBROKE PARK, Fla. – State inspectors threw a penalty flag at Don Shula's Steak House inside The Alexander hotel in Miami Beach last week.
The roach issue in the restaurant's kitchen was serious enough to order the restaurant closed.
"The matter was resolved quickly and we opened as scheduled at 6 p.m. that same night," restaurant spokesman Graham Chapman told Local 10 in a statement.
Below is a list of the restaurants ordered shut and some of their violations:
Don Shula's Steak House
5225 Collins Ave.
"Roach activity present as evidenced by live roaches found. Three small live roaches under prep table sink. Observed 10 plus live roaches beneath prep table front of hood behind cook line. Observed 5 plus live roaches within tiles joints beneath two compartments sinks. Observed 6 plus live roaches beneath ovens under hood."
"Self-service salad bar/buffet lacking adequate sneeze guards or other proper protection from contamination. No sneeze guard at buffet line."
"Raw meat/poultry cold held at greater than 41 degrees Fahrenheit. Observed raw poultry and raw burger above 41 degrees in reach in cooler."
"Interior of refrigerator soiled with accumulation of food residue. Wine cooler filthy."
"Interior of microwave soiled with encrusted food debris."
"Employee with no hair restraint while engaging in food preparation. Cook has no hair restraint."
PHO Brandon Vietnamese
2692 N. University Drive
"Rodent activity present as evidenced by rodent droppings found. Observed about 20 moist and dry droppings on a shelf used to store clean glasses and bowls just inside the kitchen entrance. Observed about 10 droppings on the floor behind the ice maker near the entrance to the kitchen, could not reach to determine if they are moist or dry. Observed at least 30 droppings, both moist and dry inside a box of drink cup lids above the ice machine. Observed 15 moist droppings on top of the dish machine and at least 40 more moist and dry droppings on the floor in the area of the dish machine. Observed at least 50 dropping, both dry and moist in 3 boxes of dry noodles in the dry storeroom. Observed at least 100 dry and moist droppings on the floor under the shelving in the dry storeroom. Observed over 20 moist and dry droppings on the shelving in the dry storeroom. Observed over 50 moist and dry droppings on the floor at the end of the cook's line."
8795 NW 50th St.
"Rodent activity present as evidenced by rodent droppings found. Observed about 40 moist droppings on the floor under a hand wash sink and floor mixer in the rear of the store. There is also a hole in the wall with no marks by the droppings. Observed 8 dry droppings in the bathroom located in the rear of the establishment. Observed 8 dry droppings behind the coke refrigerator next to the pizza oven in the front of the establishment."
"Raw animal food stored over cooked food. Observed raw meats stored above soup and chicken broth in a reach-in cooler in the kitchen."
China Lake Chinese Restaurant
1562 NE 165th St.
"Roach activity present as evidenced by 30 plus live roaches found on steam table and 6 live roaches around 3-comp sink area."
"Reach-in cooler not maintaining potentially hazardous (time/temperature control for safety) food at proper temperatures. Do not store potentially hazardous (time/temperature control for safety) food in this unit until the unit is capable of maintaining foods at 41 degrees Fahrenheit or colder."
"Required employee training expired for all employees."