1 injured in Fort Lauderdale apartment fire
Firefighters: Fire started by discarded cigarette
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. – One person was taken to the hospital after a fire broke out in the mail room of a Fort Lauderdale apartment building.
Firefighters said they arrived around 1 p.m. Thursday to find smoke and flames coming from the first floor mailroom at 440 NE First Ave.
The flames were quickly put out, and firefighters credit a resident of the five-story building with using a fire extinguisher to keep the fire at bay until they arrived.
That resident was taken to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation. No other injuries were reported.
Authorities said the cause of the fire was accidental, and was started by a discarded cigarette.
Copyright 2014 by Local10.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.