Miami Book Fair features children's theater festival
Some of the plays are from Chile, Argentina and Colombia
MIAMI – From non-verbal to Spanish this theater festival promises to keep children, who are learning Spanish or are bilingual, entertained.
The Miami Book Fair International is a week-long affair that begins Nov. 17. The theater festival for children is part of the book fair.
The perks: The cast is international and the plays are free of charge.
All the way from Buenos Aires, Argentina, come three actors to perform "Vecinas," Spanish for neighbors. It is a play that includes acrobatics and humor. The story is about two women who just can't get along.
From Chile, comes "La Tirana," a play about a young Inca princess who falls in love with a Portuguese miner, after disposing of Spaniards in revenge for the Conquest.
From Colombia, two puppeteers bring to life Antoine de Saint Exupery's "The Little Prince." Also a puppet production is "Light As Water," and adventure inspired on the short story by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
And for those who like clowns and Spaniglish, "Gotas," Spanish for droplets, has the environmentalist's heart in mind. The play includes a game, music and dance.
Nobel Prize winning Spanish author, Juan Ramon Jimenez, inspired "Mi Platero," a humorous tribute to the unforgettable character of the little donkey.
The plays will take place at the Koubek Center, 2705 SW 3rd St., and Teatro Prometeo, 300 NE 4th St., in Little Havana, and the Little Haiti Cultural Center, 212 NE 59th Terrace.
- "Vecinas" will play at 10 a.m., Nov. 19 in Little Haiti, and at 11:45 a.m., Nov. 20, in Teatro Prometeo.
- "Gotas" will play at 11:45 a.m., Nov. 19 in Little Haiti, at 11:45 a.m., Nov. 20 in Koubek Center.
- "The Little Prince" will play at 10 a.m., Nov. 20 at the Koubek Center.
- "Light As Water" is at 10 a.m., Nov. 20 at Teatro Prometeo.
- "Mi Platero" is at 10 a.m., Nov. 21 at Teatro Prometeo.
- "La Tirana" is at 11:45 a.m., Nov. 21 at Teatro Prometeo
Copyright 2014 by Local10.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.