57ºF

Electrical outlet blamed for bridal shop fire in Coral Gables

Owner of competitor store offers support

Coral Gables Fire Rescue says an electrical issue sparked a fire at a Coral Gables bridal shop
Coral Gables Fire Rescue says an electrical issue sparked a fire at a Coral Gables bridal shop

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – Cleanup crews were hard at work Monday morning trying to salvage what's left of Arissa Couture, a bridal shop on Miracle Mile.

The Coral Gables Fire Department confirms an electrical outlet sparked the fire inside the boutique, located at 357 Miracle Mile, early Sunday morning.

From the street, charred mannequins in the shop window still wearing the high-end gowns sold in the store can be seen. The store owners, who were not available for comment, are left sorting out the rubble while brides are left wondering what will happen to their gowns.

Down the road at Coral Gables Bridal, news of the fire spread to owner Dulce Maria de los Reyes, whose shop has been a Coral Gables staple for brides for more than 30 years.

She said she is offering her support to the owners of Arissa Couture.

"I think everyone would be willing to help," she said. "No one wants to be in that situation and even though we are all competitors, we should be united at this time to help this store."

According to the Coral Gables Fire Department, one of the owners was inside the store at the time of the fire. She was said to be working overnight on gown alternations when she heard the alarm and ran outside to call 911.

Although the cause of the fire was deemed as an electrical issue, they are still investigating whether there was an appliance plugged in or if the outlet itself was faulty. 

Follow MJ Acosta on Twitter @ItsMjTV

Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10