Victim in attack says she hopes Gary Burke remains behind bars after latest arrest

Burke, 52, convicted of attacking woman with clothing iron in 1989


OAKLAND PARK, Fla. – An HIV-positive Oakland Park man is facing multiple charges after forcing a woman to perform oral sex on him, police said.

And now, a woman who Burke was convicted of attacking in the 1980s has come forward to share her story and say she hopes he remains behind bars this time.

According to the arrest report, Gary Burke, 52, approached the victim and her boyfriend on Wednesday and handed them a drug called "Flokka."

The victim told Burke that they were not interested, but Burke grabbed her, took her to the back of an apartment building and forced her to perform oral sex on him, police said.

Police said Burke picked up a bottle and threatened to hit the victim with it if she did not comply with his requests.

According to the report, Burke tried to take the victim to another location, but she yelled at a passing  couple for help. Police said Burke told the couple that the victim was his "bitch" and then picked her up by her neck, choked her and slammed her onto the ground.

The victim was eventually able to run way and call for help.

Witnesses flagged down responding officers and pointed out Burke, telling police that he had raped the woman, who was taken to Broward Medical Center.

Police said Burke claimed that the victim gave him oral sex in exchange for Flokka and said she did tell him to stop and cried out for her mother. He also said that he is HIV positive and that he didn't inform the victim, but said that she should already know. 

Burke was taken to jail, where authorities discovered that he had an active warrant with no bond.

Another woman who contacted Local 10 News on Thursday afternoon said she was also a victim of Burke's.

Clovia Jackson said Burke was best friend's with her ex-husband when he broke into their home in the middle of the night in April 1989, and attacked her with a hot clothing iron.

"I was grabbed and knocked to the floor," said Jackson. "He held my mouth shut so I couldn't scream or holler. He was like, 'Be quiet, don't talk. I'll kill you.' Right away I'm like, 'Oh my God, I'm in trouble.'"

WATCH: Clovia Jackson speaks about 1989 attack

According to Jackson, Burke "was always on drugs" and fled from her house before she was able to identify him. She said he stood up during a church service a few days later and announced that he was the one who attacked her.

Jackson said he also testified in court that he had wanted to kill her.

Jackson suffered serious burns in the incident which caused her to have a permanent scar on her left leg. Burke spent less than four years in prison for that crime.

Jackson said she hopes the judge assigned to Burke's latest case does not show leniency.

"Once again, freedom is a privilege he doesn't deserve," said Clovia Jackson. "Take the key away. Shut the door, lock it and don't ever let him see the streets again."

Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

About the Author: