Firefighter pulled from house fire in southwest Miami-Dade County
Couple living at home, 2 dogs rescued from fire
MIAMI-DADE COUNTY, Fla. – Two firefighters suffered minor burns battling a house fire Wednesday afternoon in southwest Miami-Dade County.
The fire scorched much of the house on the corner of Southwest 90th Avenue and 100th Street.
A home video captured the house on fire, showing flames shooting from the roof and smoke billowing from the home.
"I don't know if the people are still there," said the 11-year-old boy who recorded the video.
Sky 10 was over the scene just before 6 p.m. as firefighters pulled one of their own from the home and ripped off his jacket and shirt.
Local 10 News is told the fire was so intense that the two firefighters suffered burns despite their protective gear.
"So it's akin to holding your hand over a burning candle?" asked Local 10 News' Carlos Suarez.
"Correct. The difference is you touch the flames directly or you hold your hand over the candle," Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Lt. Arnold Piedrahita said. "Eventually, even if you have a glove or some sort of protective gear, the heat will penetrate that material and will burn you."
A couple who lives at the house was rescued, and their two dogs also made it out alive.
"They're elderly. They've been living there for a long time and I know that sometimes they're alone," neighbor Rocio Lesa said.
Miami-Dade Fire Rescue officials said 14 crews were sent to the scene.
None of the residents who live at the home were hurt.
Follow Carlos Suarez on Twitter @CarlosWPLG
Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10
Copyright 2015 by Local10.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.