Teen maimed by fireworks now of out hospital
Firework injury blew off Javonte McNair's right hand, injured his left eye
MIAMI – A teenager who was maimed by fireworks is now out of the hospital. He underwent two surgeries this week, one of them was to amputate his hand.
Javonte McNair, 13, was muttering few words as he was released from Jackson Memorial Hospital. The teen has been through a lot this week after a firework injury blew off his right hand and injured his left eye.
"Oh God, we were just so happy that he could just see some. We didn't know if he was going to lose an eye or what," Javonte's grandmother said.
Javonte underwent several hours of surgery over the past two days. His mother, Teresa McNair, is relieved he can go home.
"I'm very grateful that he gets to come home today and the doctors did a wonderful job on his eye," Teresa McNair said.
It all started Wednesday afternoon when Javonte was riding his bike near Northwest Ninth Street in Fort Lauderdale.
Witnesses said another kid threw a firework at the 13-year-old. He put his hand up to block it and when he did, doctors said the firework went off like a grenade in Javonte's hand.
Javonte only hopes he will he play football again one day.
The family told Local 10 News that this whole time they've been calling on a higher power to help him heal.
"Lots of prayer through the saints of the church, all the members, everybody," Javonte's grandmother said. "I think the whole floor is praying for us to get through this."
Javonte will spend the next few days back and forth to the hospital and recovering at home.
Follow Shyann Malone on Twitter @ShyannMalone
Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10
Copyright 2015 by Local10.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.