Couple identified in possible carbon monoxide poisoning
John Benson, 53, Dororthy Skordy, 41, found dead in Fort Lauderdale high-rise Thursday
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. – A Fort Lauderdale couple who possibly committed suicide by poisoning themselves with carbon monoxide have been identified by police as John Benson, 53, and Dorothy Skordy, 41.
The couple and a dog were found dead in their high-rise apartment building Thursday morning at 1010 Seminole Drive.
Police said the victims were found after a suicide attempt on the 15th floor of the Sunrise Harbor luxury apartment building.
Residents living on floors 14 through 18 were evacuated as Fort Lauderdale's hazardous materials team monitored the air in the building.
Fire Rescue Division Chief Timothy Heiser said firefighters "did find high levels of carbon monoxide in the effective apartment and the adjacent apartments."
Authorities said five people suffered minor symptoms from carbon monoxide exposure and are expected to be fine.
Police haven't released the cause of death pending results from the medical examiner's office.
Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10
Copyright 2015 by Local10.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.