Pompano Beach warehouse destroyed in fire
Propane tanks cause series of explosions
POMPANO BEACH, Fla. – Firefighters battled a large fire at a furniture warehouse in Pompano Beach Friday.
The fire was reported about 11:40 a.m. at 980 SW 12th Ave.
Sky 10 was above the scene as heavy smoke and flames came from the SDC Furniture warehouse. Most of the building appeared to have already collapsed as firefighters sprayed it with water.
Everyone inside the warehouse was evacuated as firefighters worked to put out the flames.
A Pompano Beach Fire Rescue representative said Andrews Avenue was shut down in the area as fire crews worked to get the flames under control.
Authorities said there were several explosions at the warehouse, which are believed to have come from 50-gallon propane tanks that were stored inside the building.
"We didn't know what was exploding. There were serious explosions going on inside that warehouse that added fuel to the fire and in fact, caused quite an inferno," Pompano Beach Fire Rescue spokeswoman Sandra King said. "At that point, firefighters could not get inside the building so what they did was do a defensive attack and kept the fire contained so it didn't spread to other buildings."
The firefighters were hampered by poor visibility, intense heat and hazardous conditions.
Authorities said no one was seriously injured in the fire, but three firefighters were treated for heat exhaustion. One firefighter was taken to a hospital.
Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10
Copyright 2015 by Local10.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.