Mother sleeping when 3-year-old boy's shirt catches fire, police say
Neighbor takes shirt off boy, douses him with water before paramedics arrive
MIAMI-DADE COUNTY, Fla. – Police have released new details after a 3-year-old boy was severely burned when his clothes caught fire as his older sibling played with a lighter.
The incident was reported about 11:30 a.m. at 14040 SW 267th Terrace in Homestead.
According to a Miami-Dade police report, the boy's mother, Maria Ramirez, 28, was sleeping inside the home when the incident happened.
Officers said the boy's sister pushed him outside once his shirt caught fire, and a neighbor, identified as Marta Salcedo, 50, removed the burning shirt and attempted to cool the boy's body with water.
Salcedo then called 911.
Police said the boy's mother had just awakened when authorities entered the home.
The boy was airlifted to Jackson Memorial Hospital's Ryder Trauma Center. His condition has not been released
The Department of Children and Families is conducting an investigation into the incident and said they have had prior contact with the family.
Follow Local 10 News on Twitter@WPLGLocal10
Copyright 2015 by Local10.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.