Scooter malfunction leads to fire in Miami Beach parking lot
6 scooters, 2 vehicles torched outside apartment building
MIAMI BEACH, Fla. – A malfunction on a scooter appeared to start a fire Tuesday morning that torched six other scooters and two vehicles that were parked outside a Miami Beach apartment building, police said.
The fire was reported outside the Belle Isle Key Apartments at 31 Venetian Way.
According to an incident report, Antonio Terranova told officers that he was riding his scooter home when he noticed that it was making a strange noise and omitting a burnt smell from the engine.
He said he parked the scooter and inspected it, but couldn't find anything wrong with it.
According to the report, Terranova went inside his home, and moments later a neighbor told him his scooter was on fire.
Police said five of the six scooters were burnt to the point that they were unrecognizable.
The owners of the scooters and vehicles that sustained damage were given case cards by police.
Miami Beach Fire investigators determined that the fire was accidental and there were no signs of foul play.
Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10
Copyright 2015 by Local10.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.