66ºF

Man convicted of fatally shooting teen outside Burger King sentenced to life in prison

Jonathan Simon to spend life behind bars without possibility of parole

photo

MIAMI – A man was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole Friday in the 2009 shooting death of a 15-year-old boy outside a North Miami Burger King.

Jonathan Simon was convicted of first-degree murder last month, which carries an automatic life sentence.

According a Miami Herald report, Jason Maharaj was hanging out with his friends on West Dixie Highway when they got into an argument with Simon.

Police said Simon chased the group into a Burger King parking lot, where Jason tripped.

Surveillance video shows Simon stand over Jason and fire his gun several times. He was captured by police a few blocks away.

Prosecutors said witnesses also identified Simon as the killer.

Jason was a student at North Miami High School when he was killed.

Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10


About the Author: