14 students fall ill from heat at Coral Springs High School
Students, staff outside Thursday for event
CORAL SPRINGS, Fla. – Fourteen Coral Springs High School students were treated Thursday for "heat emergency-type symptoms," Coral Springs Fire Department Division Chief Michael Moser said.
According to a news release, students and faulty gathered Thursday afternoon on the school's football field for the High School Nation Tour, which is a traveling music and arts festival that visits public schools to encourage students to participate and pursue careers in the arts.
Moser said three students were taken to Northwest Medical Center and Coral Springs Medical Center and the 11 other students said they didn't need to go to the hospital.
One student told Local 10 News that it was extremely hot outside and she saw several people struggling to cope with the heat.
"I actually saw one person that already had been freaking out and kind of like passing out so they were trying to get water back to her (and) trying to get people to move away (and) give them space," Alison Feldman said.
A school representative said one of the students suffered from asthma, which could have been a contributing factor.
Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10
Copyright 2015 by Local10.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.