Fatal Miami apartment fire ruled accidental
83-year-old woman dies in fire, caretaker taken to JMH to be treated for burns
MIAMI – Miami Fire Department investigators have ruled a fatal apartment fire that happened over the weekend as accidental, and said the fire was caused by a frayed electrical cord.
Fire rescue crews responded to the third-floor apartment at 1800 SW 25th St. just after 4 a.m. Saturday, where an 83-year-old woman lived with her caretaker.
Neighbors told Local 10 News they heard screaming and ran out to help when they noticed the smoke. Several residents tried to put out the fire using the building fire extinguishers, but the flames were too much to handle.
Firefighters pulled the woman out of the apartment, but she was pronounced dead at the scene. The caretaker, a woman in her 60s, was taken to Ryder Trauma center to be treated for burns on her hands.
Investigators said the frayed electrical cord was discovered bent and pressed against the wall of the victim's bedroom.
The woman's identity has not been released.
Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10
Copyright 2015 by Local10.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.