77ºF

Lithium ion battery bursts into flames at Hollywood home

Family quickly extinguishes fire

HOLLYWOOD, Fla. – A Hollywood family said they are the latest victims of a lithium ion battery bursting into flames.

Jordan Meshel, 14, had bought a new battery for his radio-controlled car and placed it on his desk to charge in his room.

"I was only out of the room for 4 minutes at most," Jordan said.

When the fire alarm went off, Meshel and his mother smelled smoke.

"My son screamed, 'My batteries,'" Randi Meshel said.

Luckily, there was a fire extinguisher nearby.

The battery Jordan bought did come with a warning about potential fire on the back and ironically, Jordan's father is a fire investigator.

"I have investigated about 5 to 6 type fires.. same car.. same batteries. If he hadn't been home this house would be 4 block walls right now," Harvey Meshel said.

These are the same type of batteries that have  hoverboards in the headlines.

Experts claim cheap knock off are being pumped out of China with low quality parts and low quality batteries that are causing fires.

Amazon stopped selling Hoverboards and airlines ban them on board.

The Meshel's fire is being investigated by their insurance company.

Experts say a good quality hoverboard should cost between $700 and $1,200. Vera Cadillac Buick GMC has sold about 30 Cyboards and they have not had one problem.

"The internet is full of information," Vera's operations manager, Richard Gonzalez, said. "People need to do their research and know exactly what they are getting."

Click here for more information about purchasing Cyboards and the dangers of purchasing replicas.

Related Links:

Lithium battery safety concerns

Why lithium batteries catch fire

Economist explains lithium battery issues