82ºF

Stop Human Trafficking Walk held at FNU's Hialeah Campus

Miami second in nation in human trafficking numbers

MIAMI – State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle and Florida National University President and CEO Dr. Maria Cristina Regueiro held a walk at the university's Hialeah campus Friday to bring awareness of human trafficking.

In honor of Human Trafficking Awareness Month, Fernandez Rundle and the university wanted to shed light on the fact that Florida is third in the nation and Miami in second in the nation in human-trafficking cases.

"It takes a village to combat the savagery of human trafficking. We must build strong partnerships with all community resources to effectively eliminate this unthinkable modern-day slavery," Fernandez Rundle said. "This event hopes to bring community leaders, service providers and local, state and national law enforcement agencies together in our continued determination and mission to eradicate this scourge that affects so many young and promising lives."

According to an FNU spokeswoman, 70 percent of human-trafficking victims are girls under the age of 18, and the other 30 percent are underage boys.

The 1-mile symbolic walk was held Friday morning at FNU's Hialeah campus at 4425 W. 20th Ave.

The walk also featured speakers, live music, food and family-friendly activities.


About the Author: