Carbon monoxide sends 11 people in Doral to hospital

Shape Lovers forced to close

DORAL, Fla. – Nearly a dozen people were hospitalized Sunday after a carbon monoxide leak at a meal delivery company in Doral.

Miami-Dade Fire Rescue crews were called to Shape Lovers near Northwest 54th Street and Northwest 79th Avenue after workers reported feeling dizzy and light-headed.

After the exhaust fan system over a stove started making strange noises, an employee shut it off, allowing the dangerous carbon monoxide fumes to build.

Firefighters said carbon monoxide levels were high when they arrived.

A total of 11 people were taken to various hospitals. They are expected to be OK.

The business was closed for the remainder of the day after the building was deemed "unfit for human habitation."

Shape Lovers, which advertises providing low-calorie, gourmet meals, told customers that it was forced to "stop cooking operations" because of an equipment issue.

The next building inspection is scheduled for Monday.


About the Authors:

Terrell Forney joined Local 10 News in October 2005 as a general assignment reporter. He was born and raised in Cleveland, Ohio, but a desire to escape the harsh winters of the north brought him to South Florida.

Layron Livingston made the move from Ohio's Miami Valley to Miami, Florida, to join the Local 10 News team.