MIAMI – Two teenagers arrested in the fatal shooting of a 6-year-old boy over the weekend were denied bond Thursday.
Leonard Adams, 18, and Irwen Pressley, 17, appeared in front of Judge Mindy Glazer Thursday morning. They both have been assigned public defenders.
The teens were arrested Wednesday after being questioned by detectives about Saturday's shooting at the Blue Lake Village apartment complex at 1225 NW 103rd Lane.
Both suspects face charges of attempted first-degree murder and second-degree murder.
Prosecutors said Pressley will be charged as an adult.
"We hurting. They really ripped our family apart, but we trust in God," King Carter's mother, Monica Smith, said.
According to Miami-Dade police Acting Director Alfredo Ramirez III, the suspects and intended target were feuding on social media, and the friends drove to the victim’s apartment with the intention of killing him.
According to an arrest report, Adams was driving the car when the friends spotted another teen who goes by "Ju Ju" standing by a stairwell.
Detectives said Adams parked the car, the pair approached Ju Ju, and both fired their weapons. Ju Ju was injured, but King, 6, who was walking across the parking lot to buy candy, was struck in the chest, the report said.
Detectives said Ju Ju shot back at the suspects, striking Adams in the neck.
They said the suspects got back in their car and drove away.
King's father told Local 10 News that Ju Ju called him to apologize and then called police to turn himself in and give his side of the story.
"He's so sorry," Santonio Carter said. "He was crying, yelling to the top of his lungs (that) he was sorry."
According to the arrest reports, both suspects confessed to their involvement in the shootings and Pressley's GPS ankle monitor placed him at the scene of the shooting.
Pressley is on probation for strong arm robbery and felony probation for a separate strong arm robbery. Adams also has a prior criminal history, which includes charges of felony battery and possessing a firearm on school property.
More people are expected to be questioned in the shooting. Homicide Bureau Major Calvin James said police are searching for an older 2000-model black Lexus that may have bullet holes in it.
A $26,000 reward had been raised for information leading to an arrest. Carter's family and local activists had held several rallies since his death, calling on the community to come forward with information.
Detectives said the investigation is still ongoing. Anyone with additional information is asked to call Miami-Dade Crime Stoppers at 305-471-TIPS.