Teen injured in hit-and-run crash forgives accused driver
Simion Boykins pleads not guilty in court
MIAMI – A man accused of leaving the scene of a crash that injured a teenager was back in court Thursday.
Simion Boykins pleaded not guilty to leaving the scene of a crash causing serious bodily harm and driving without a license.
Miami-Dade police said Boykins struck Javier Valdes, 15, with his car last month while the teen was trying to cross Northwest 22nd Avenue. A little more than an hour after the crash, Boykins expressed his remorse on Facebook, writing, "Damn, I really (expletive) up."
Police said Boykins was not at fault for the crash, but it became a criminal act when he fled the scene.
Boykins later turned himself in to police at the urging of family members.
Valdes, who has almost fully recovered from his injuries, was in the courtroom as Boykins faced a judge.
"I forgive him," Valdes told Local 10 News when asked how he felt about Boykins. "(They) said he was scared, so that's probably why he left me."
Still, Valdes believes Boykins deserves to be punished.
"He did the crime, so he should pay the time," Valdes said.
A trial date was set for May 16.
Copyright 2016 by WPLG Local10.com - All rights reserved.