Man accused of raping woman after drinking at Miami Beach bar

Casey Miller, 25, arrested Tuesday on multiple charges

MIAMI BEACH, Fla. – A Miami Beach man is facing multiple charges after he raped a woman who was visiting from Georgia, authorities said.

According to an arrest report, the victim left Mango's Cafe about 2:30 a.m. Saturday after she had an argument with one of the other women in her group.

Police said the woman was walking back to the Fontainebleau hotel, where she was staying, when she was approached by a man in a black four-door car.

Casey Miller, 25, asked the woman why she was crying and asked if she wanted to have a drink with him at a nearby bar, police said.

According to the report, the victim remembers having two drinks and then being in Miller's apartment.

The woman told detectives that she tried to leave, but Miller stood in front of the door and told her she couldn't leave.

Detectives said the victim ran toward the door in an attempt to escape, but Miller grabbed her from behind and pushed her farther inside. 

The woman told authorities that she struck Miller over the head several times with her cellphone, and Miller pushed her to the ground, beat her about the face repeatedly, choked her and slammed her head into the ground.

Detectives said Miller forcibly removed the victim's underwear and raped her.

The victim told authorities that her next recollections were being inside a stairwell and then inside a Walgreens store.

Miami Beach police and Fire Rescue were called by Walgreens employees, who saw that the woman had severe bruising to her face, a swollen lip, what appeared to be bite marks to her left and right shoulders and bruising to her neck.

Police said the woman was treated at Mount Sinai Medical Center.

She later identified Miller in a photo lineup.

Police said Miller was arrested Tuesday at his apartment and invoked his right to an attorney, refusing to provide a statement.

He faces charges of sexual battery, aggravated battery and kidnapping.

Miller appeared in court Wednesday and was ordered to be held without bond.

About the Author: