Woman accused of hitting principal with car accidentally released on bond without ankle monitor

Marilyn Aguilera, 51, charged with DUI causing great bodily injury

MIAMI – A woman accused of severely injuring the principal of South Dade Senior High School last month after she struck him with her car was accidentally released from jail this week without an electronic ankle monitor.

Miami-Dade corrections officers placed an ankle monitor on Marilyn Aguilera, 51, a day after she was released from jail. A corrections spokeswoman said they were not made aware of the special conditions until the day after her release and corrected the situation immediately.

Aguilera was arrested on a warrant Tuesday and charged with driving under the influence causing a crash that resulted in great bodily harm. Her blood-alcohol level was measured at .227 percent, almost three times the legal limit, the warrant said.

She was released later in the day on $15,000 bond without an ankle monitor. However, a Miami-Dade County judge had ordered that she be placed under house arrest if she posted bond.

Miami-Dade Corrections and Rehabilitation spokeswoman Janelle Hall released a statement Thursday saying that "MDCR received subsequent information regarding additional conditions of (her) release" on Wednesday.

A hearing was held Thursday morning to clarify the terms of Aguilera's release. Aguilera did not attend the hearing.

The judge ordered that Aguilera will remain on house arrest and has given her permission only to leave her home to visit and take care of her mother, attend church, go to medical appointments for her or her son and to go to work. She is not allowed to drive or drink alcohol.

Aguilera's attorney told Local 10 News reporter Liane Morejon that Aguilera has not been back to work since the car crash.

According to Miami-Dade police, Javier Perez, 43, was coaching his 5-year-old son's Little League baseball team at a West Kendall park April 26 when he was struck by a GMC Envoy.

The warrant said Aguilera was driving at a high rate of speed while heading north on Southwest 117th Avenue near Coral Way. She then struck a median, hit a chain-link fence and struck Perez and another man, Elias Espinoza.

Both victims were taken by Miami-Dade Fire Rescue to Kendall Regional Medical Center. Perez was first listed in critical condition and later had to have his legs amputated.

Authorities said Aguilera remained at the scene.

According to the warrant, while speaking to detectives, Aguilera experienced "mood swings ... which ranged from being cooperative and polite to being insulting and using profanity. Her face was flushed, and she both laughed and cried."

A GoFundMe page has been created to help Perez's family with his medical expenses.

Aguilera's next court hearing is scheduled for June 16.

About the Authors: