Man loses several fingers when firework blows up in his hand, authorities say
Victim taken to Broward Health Medical Center
NORTH LAUDERDALE, Fla. – A South Florida man lost several fingers Tuesday when a firework blew up in his hand, authorities said.
Neighbors along the 900 block of Southwest 80th Avenue in North Lauderdale said a group of people was playing with fireworks when one went off in someone's hand.
"They were using leftover fireworks, and I guess the kid had one in his hand, and it basically blew up his hand," Emerson Clermond said. "He had two other people with him."
Local 10 News reporter Carlos Suarez was told that the victim and group he was with were able to flag down a fire rescue truck, which took the victim to Broward Health Medical Center.
Authorities said the victim is 20 years old, but people in the neighborhood told Local 10 News that he is much younger, possibly a child.
His name and condition have not been released.
Copyright 2016 by WPLG Local10.com - All rights reserved.