Explosion leaves large hole in roof of Margate home
Fuel stored for remote control plane explodes during fire, authorities say
MARGATE, Fla. – An explosion left a large hole in the roof of a Margate home Tuesday afternoon.
Margate Fire Rescue officials said the owner of the home on Southwest 63rd Terrace first heard a bang and thought her father was home.
She then smelled smoke and saw that a remote control jet inside the garage was on fire.
Authorities said the woman tried to remove the burning plane from the home, but the fire quickly spread.
They said fuel that was stored for the plane ignited, causing an explosion when firefighters arrived at the home.
Sky 10 was above the house as heavy smoke poured from a large hole in the roof.
Margate firefighters said all of the residents got out of the house safely. Two of the homeowners' three dogs were also able to escape the fire, but one dog died.
Copyright 2016 by WPLG Local10.com - All rights reserved.