Water moccasin bites 17-year-old boy in Miramar
Antivenin delivered to hospital by Miami-Dade Fire Rescue via air rescue
MIRAMAR, Fla. – A 17-year-old boy was taken to a hospital Wednesday, a day after he was bitten on the ankle by a water moccasin, authorities said.
Miami-Dade Fire Rescue officials said the teen was bitten Tuesday, but didn't tell his parents until Wednesday morning.
His parents took him to Memorial Hospital Miramar, and the hospital called poison control.
After determining that it was a water moccasin bite, Miami-Dade Fire Rescue was called to bring in antivenin via air rescue.
The teen is still recovering in the hospital.
Miami-Dade Fire Rescue officials said April through October is considered snake season.
They advise people not to walk outside without shoes at nighttime, especially near the Everglades.
They said baby water moccasins look like ball pythons and should not be picked up.
Copyright 2016 by WPLG Local10.com - All rights reserved.