Trucker accused of threatening Trump stopped after chase

Driver arrested at inspection station on I-75; no explosives found

Ausarmaat Rahotep booking photo shown on picture tractor-trailer stopped at inspection station.
Ausarmaat Rahotep booking photo shown on picture tractor-trailer stopped at inspection station. (Columbia County Sheriff's Office photos)

LAKE CITY, Fla. – A truck driver was arrested early Saturday morning at an agricultural inspection station near the Florida-Georgia border after he called 911 to say he was "headed to Donald Trump with bombs," according to the Columbia County Sheriff's Office.

The Columbia County 911 center reported getting a call just after midnight from a man who deputies later identified as Ausarmaat Rahotep, 37, of Rhode Island.

The 911 operator was able to learn he was in a large truck believed to be parked along Interstate 75. Deputies, the Florida Highway Patrol and other agencies began checking the interstates.

While checking north on I-75,  a Columbia County deputy saw a tractor trailer on the shoulder of the northbound interstate. The deputy activated his emergency lights and the truck drove off. As the deputies followed the truck with lights and sirens, they said the driver was weaving back and forth across all the northbound lanes, but maintained highway speeds. 

The truck pulled into the Agricultural Inspection Station on I-75 in Hamilton County, where Rahotep was arrested without incident.

Due to the threat of explosives, a Valdosta Police explosives detection K-9 team responded and checked the truck and trailer. No explosives were located. The trailer was loaded with pool construction materials.

Rahotep was arrested on charges of reckless driving, fleeing and attempting to elude, and making threats against elected officials. Rahotep was booked into Hamilton County jail, and then transferred to the Columbia County Detention Facility, where he is currently held with no bond.

“We are grateful for the assistance of all our law enforcement partners in this case; this was a team effort from dispatch to all the law enforcement agencies involved," Sheriff Mark Hunter said.

This is an active and ongoing investigation.