1 injured in explosion at Deerfield Beach restaurant
Driver of propane truck treated for burns
DEERFIELD BEACH, Fla. – An explosion at a Brazilian restaurant Thursday in Deerfield Beach sent a man to a hospital with burns.
Broward Sheriff's Office Department of Fire Rescue spokesman Mike Jachles said that a propane truck was filling up the tanks at Restaurante Brasil, 843 W. Sample Road, when there was an explosion.
"We don't know why there was an explosion," Jachles said.
Nosh Ahmad, who works at a nearby Mobil gas station, said it sounded "like a bomb went off."
Ahmad said the explosion shook the ground.
Sky 10 flew above as firefighters battled the flames in the back of the restaurant.
Witnesses said the flames were so high that the billboard above caught fire, too.
The restaurant, bakery and the rest of the shopping plaza were evacuated while firefighters worked to extinguish the fire.
Jachles said the AmeriGas truck driver was taken to a hospital. His name and condition were not immediately known.
Copyright 2017 by WPLG Local10.com - All rights reserved.