Water discovered leaking into food at Steak 'n Shake in Coral Springs
Caterer also had major issues in their facility
PEMRBOKE PARK, Fla. – When state inspector noticed it was raining inside a Steak 'n Shake in Coral Springs, they noticed rain water coming inside the restaurant.
The inspector was there as the result of a complaint. Along with finding 11 violations, the inspector ordered a stop sale on turkey.
The inspector observed water leaking from the ceiling onto turkey in a cooler.
"Turkey was sitting in accumulated water in a pan," the inspection report said.
"Is that food that was going to be served to the public?" Local 10 News reporter Jeff Weinsier asked a restaurant employee.
"I'm not allowed to comment to the media. I'm sorry," the employee said.
The inspector noted water leaking from the ceiling throughout the kitchen.
One inch of water was discovered in the milkshake prep area.
"Can you tell me if it's been fixed?" Weinsier said.
"I'm not allowed to comment to the media," the employee said.
Local 10 News then called Steak 'n Shake's corporate office for comment, but the marketing director was out.
At Sliver Palace Chinese Restaurant, in Kendale Lakes, rodents were found during the latest inspection.
Rodent issues were among the 25 violations the restaurant received.
The inspector noted that rodent droppings were found on top of a dish machine, in a storage room, inside the oven and on the cook line.
The restaurant manager said the Silver Palace was reinspected and passed.
"I know the inspector came and reinspected but when they came here unannounced there were rodent droppings in the oven," Weinsier said.
The manager did not reply.
Diana Food Group is a catering company that serves the elderly and schools.
The location is not opened to the public, but an inspector was there based on a complaint and ordered that the place be shut down after finding 23 violations.
Roaches were found by a fryer, under a stove and on a warmer, and there was mold in the ice machine,
There were also hand-washing issues.
"You cater to the elderly, to schools. You have a responsibility?" Weinsier asked Susan Wodnicki, vice president of Diana Food Group.
"Of course," Wodnicki said.
"What happened?" Weinsier asked.
"And that is part of running a business and we're on top of it," Wodnicki said. "And it got away from us. It happens. It's not intentional."
All the places mentioned were allowed to reopen following an ordered cleanup and reinspection.
Copyright 2017 by WPLG Local10.com - All rights reserved.