MIAMI-DADE COUNTY, Fla. – A police officer and three firefighters were among seven people hospitalized Thursday morning after feeling the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning in southwest Miami-Dade County, Miami-Dade Fire Rescue said.
The incident was reported shortly before 5 a.m. at a home on Southwest 103rd Court.
Firefighters received a call that a mother, a father and their teenage child were overcome by something.
"We were worried for them," neighbor Helen Blanco said.
Authorities discovered that the father had left his car running overnight after turning it on to charge the battery, which resulted in a build up of carbon monoxide.
When firefighters and police arrived, they also began to experience similar symptoms.
"They were overcome by something," Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Lt. Felipe Lay said.
The family, a Miami-Dade police officer and three firefighters were taken to a hospital, but Lay said they were in good condition. The officer and firefighters have since been released from the hospital.
Two dogs were also removed from the home but were expected to be OK.
Authorities said the mother is expected to remain at the hospital for at least the rest of the day as she undergoes hyperbaric oxygen treatment.
A hazardous materials crew was called to the scene to investigate the cause, which they concluded was carbon monoxide poisoning from the vehicle being left running overnight.
Firefighters used one of their ladder trucks to create a makeshift shower to rinse away anything hazardous.