HOUSTON – An old scam is popping up again, with several people saying it's been tried on them in recent months
One woman said it happened to her last week..
It's called the "Wobbly Wheel Scam."
Strangers say there's something wrong with your tire. They get you to pull over, then they damage your tire and offer to fix it, forcing you to go to an ATM to withdraw hundreds of dollars to pay them for the repairs.
Police offer the following tips on how to avoid becoming a victim:
- Use common sense
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Don't pull over for anyone you don't know, especially at night
- Use your discretion rolling down a window to talk to a stranger
- Drive to well-lit/populated area and check on it yourself
- Be leery of anybody trying to perform work immediately and offering cheaper services
- Call police to report suspicious encounters