Small grease fire sparks in restaurant at Brickell City Centre
Smoke fills second-floor hallways, prompting evacuation
MIAMI – A small grease fire in a restaurant at the Brickell City Centre prompted an evacuation Thursday afternoon.
The fire started about 12:15 p.m. in the kitchen of the Casa Tua Cucina restaurant inside Saks Fifth Avenue, a Brickell City Centre representative said in a statement.
Miami firefighters arrived to find light smoke in the second-floor hallways.
"Firefighters initiated a thorough search of the building and determine the smoke was coming from an exhaust vent," Miami Department of Fire-Rescue Capt. Ignatius Carroll said. "It appears a small fire started near the grease trap, generating a moderate amount of smoke. As the smoke was exiting the exhaust vent, it was drawn into an air intake fan, causing the smoke to circulate through the second-floor corridor."
Sky 10 was above the scene as firefighters appeared to be giving oxygen to a woman outside the parking garage. Carroll said the woman was complaining of shortness of breath.
Manny Orozco said he was forced to evacuate after thick smoke filled the building. He posted a video on Twitter.
Carroll said everyone was allowed back inside the building about 30 minutes later.
Copyright 2018 by WPLG Local10.com - All rights reserved.