DEERFIELD BEACH, Fla. – A Broward Sheriff's Office deputy was taken to a hospital Monday morning after an apparent argument between neighbors led to a chemical exposure in Deerfield Beach.
Deputies and paramedics were called to the 400 block of Northwest 36th Avenue just after 11 a.m. after several residents complained of being exposed to a chemical, possibly ammonia.
One of two deputies at the scene was indirectly exposed to the substance and complained of a burning sensation to his face and shortness of breath. He was taken to Broward Health North to be treated.
A hazardous materials team was called to decontaminate the victims.
The woman accused of spraying her neighbor was also taken to a hospital to be treated for exposure. She was expected to remain hospitalized under the state's Baker Act law.
A photo from the scene showed the woman lying on the ground, handcuffed with her face covered.
Neighbors said the woman had been feuding with her Home Owners' Asssocation.
"She was building up when we went to her home last month. She was not good already. You could see that she was a little off," neighbor Ana Grangeiro said. "But, you know, like I said I don’t think she’s dangerous to anybody. I was surprised that she did that."
Neighbor Nicolas Palladino said when he saw the police and fire vehicles outside, he assumed that the woman was involved.
“When we moved in, the HOA lady she told us about her, being a little out of it sometimes," Palladino said.