Cousins injured in fireworks accident in Pompano Beach, authorities say
Boys, ages 8 and 9, taken to hospital with second-degree burns
POMPANO BEACH, Fla. – Two cousins, ages 8 and 9, were injured Wednesday afternoon while playing with fireworks in Pompano Beach, authorities said.
The incident was reported in the 400 block of Northwest Sixth Avenue.
According to Pompano Beach Fire Rescue spokeswoman Sandra King, both boys suffered second-degree burns in the explosion.
"They were playing with fireworks, with what's called an onion bomb. It's a homemade device. It's a powerful device," King said.
She said the boys were in the front of the home when they tried to light the device.
"They thought it was lit, they took it apart, they started to light it again. It was already lit and it exploded with both of them leaning over the device," King said.
The 9-year-old was burned on one hand and the 8-year-old was burned on both hands and his face, King said.
King said both boys were taken to Broward Health Medical Center. They have since been transferred to the Jackson Memorial Hospital Burn Center in Miami.
According to King, the boys' parents were unaware that the children were playing with fireworks when the incident occurred.
Broward Sheriff's Office deputies are also investigating the incident to determine where the onion bomb came from.
Authorities have the device in their possession. It's unclear whether anyone will face charges.
Copyright 2019 by WPLG Local10.com - All rights reserved.