Overheated machine believed to have sparked warehouse fire

Fire started Monday morning inside Turbopower warehouse

MIAMI-DADE COUNTY, Fla. – An overheated machine is believed to have caused a warehouse fire Monday morning in northwest Miami-Dade County.

The fire started about 5 a.m. at a warehouse off Northwest 145th Street, next to Miami-Opa-locka Executive Airport.

"It apparently was caused by an overheating piece of machinery," Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Lt. Kirsten Miller said. 

A hazardous materials team was called as a precaution because of the chemicals housed inside the warehouse.

The warehouse is home to Turbopower, which provides maintenance for aircraft engines.

A hazmat team could be seen spraying off firefighters with water hoses and using detergent to scrub their suits.

Firefighters were able to extinguish the flames before they spread to any chemicals.

"There was never any danger of a hazardous materials release," Miller said.

A large industrial fan was later used to clear out any lingering smoke.

There were no injuries.

About the Authors: