Chemical leak at flower shop prompts hazmat team
Miami-Dade Fire Rescue determines 'chemical cloud' to be ammonia leak
MIAMI-DADE COUNTY, Fla. – A hazardous materials team was called to a chemical leak at a flower shop Wednesday morning in northwest Miami-Dade County.
Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Lt. Kirsten Miller said firefighters were called about 2 a.m. in reference to "some kind of cloud coming from a building" about a half-mile from Miami International Airport.
When firefighters arrived, they saw a "chemical cloud" coming from The Queen's Flowers on Northwest 25th Street.
Nobody was inside at the time, but firefighters secured the area while they made their way inside to make sure the leak was contained.
"With this kind of call, we move very slow and very cautiously," Miller said.
The cloud was later confirmed to be an ammonia leak.
"It's something related with the cooling system (for the refrigerator)," Gabriel Vega, director of sales at The Queen's Flowers, told Local 10 News.
Authorities blocked off travel on the cargo ramp to Miami International Airport.
A fan was used to ventilate the building.
Copyright 2019 by WPLG Local10.com - All rights reserved.