Man taken to hospital after fire starts inside cluttered home near Fort Lauderdale

Firefighters had to remove items blocking their way before getting inside

BROWARD COUNTY, Fla. – A 76-year-old military veteran was taken to a hospital after a fire started at his home near Fort Lauderdale.

The fire started Thursday night at a home on Southwest 44th Avenue near Southwest 18th Street.

Broward County firefighters arrived and had trouble getting inside the cluttered home. They had to remove several obstacles in the front yard and inside the home before they could battle the flames.

Alton Spratley said he was cooking when the fire started. He was taken to Broward Health Medical Center to be treated for smoke inhalation.

Firefighters said with the all the items blocking the way, the situation could have been much worse.

Spratly was able to return to his home - or what's left of it - Friday.

BSO and the American Legion have both stepped in to make sure that Spratley has somewhere to stay until he is able to return home for good. 

About the Authors:

In January 2017, Hatzel Vela became the first local television journalist in the country to move to Cuba and cover the island from the inside. During his time living and working in Cuba, he covered some of the most significant stories in a post-Fidel Castro Cuba.