Woman accused in DUI crash that injured 2 men considers plea deal

Childhood friend now representing Marilyn Aguilera pro bono

By Liane Morejon - Reporter, Amanda Batchelor - Senior Digital Editor

MIAMI - A woman charged with DUI resulting in great bodily harm is considering a plea deal following a crash that injured the former principal of South Dade Senior High School and another man.

Marilyn Aguilera is accused of driving drunk on April 26, 2016, when she struck the then principal of South Dade Senior High School, Javier Perez, with her SUV while he was coaching his son's baseball team at a West Kendall park.

Another man, Elias Espinoza, was also injured. 

Aguilera's new attorney is the defendant's childhood friend, who has agreed to represent her pro bono.

"This is unusual because she couldn't pay her other lawyer," Ana Davide said. "Because she's unemployed, she's a single mom and has no money."

Perez lost both of his legs in the crash, but he never lost his will to overcome obstacles.

He's now using prosthetics to walk and has made amazing strides in his recovery.

Aguilera was noticeably absent at Monday's hearing.

The state said they've offered her a plea deal.

While the terms of the offer have not been publicly released, prosecutors said it is more lenient than the standard sentencing guidelines because the victims and their families want to put the case behind them.

"If she at this late date wants to change who her lawyer is, that's certainly her call to make, but it is not my intention to keep the plea offer, which is below guidelines, open past this time. I made a below-guidelines offer because the victims really wanted closure," Laura Adams said.

Aguilera has until Friday to choose whether she will accept the plea deal. 

Her attorney said Aguilera is still contemplating the offer to ensure that she fully understands the terms of the deal.

"This isn't about delaying. She takes full responsibility," Davide said. "This is about her understanding the deal and moving forward with her life."

Authorities said Aguilera remained at the scene after the crash.

Copyright 2017 by WPLG Local10.com - All rights reserved.