Gov. announces Florida’s lawsuit against federal government, CDC over cruise restrictions

MIAMI – Making good on a promise revealed last week, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said at a news conference Thursday that he is moving forward with filing a lawsuit against the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the federal government demanding that cruise ships be allowed to start sailing immediately.

“This is something that we believe we have every legal right to insist upon,” DeSantis said during a news conference at PortMiami. “We don’t believe the federal government has the right to mothball a major industry for over a year based on very little evidence and very little data.”

Florida’s Attorney General Ashley Moody said at the press conference that she had filed the lawsuit Thursday against the CDC, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and the Biden Administration demanding the no sail order be lifted.

Moody called the action a “heavy-handed federal overreach” adding that President Joe Biden’s administration is unfairly singling out and keeping the cruise industry docked “on the basis of outdated data.”

“Our litigation seeks to end this federal overreach and allow Floridians to safely get back to work and travel,” Moody said.

DeSantis’ conference focused mostly on what he said is the unemployment hardship that is being incurred by the order.

“Tens of thousands of Floridians depend on the viability of an open cruise industry for their livelihood. Today is the day for us to fight for them, fight for our friends and neighbors who just want to go back to work,” DeSantis said.

He said that cruise lines are resuming sailings from international ports such as the Bahamas and Bermuda, which puts Florida’s $9 billion economic engine in a continued state of jeopardy.


About the Authors: