FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. – A fire erupted overnight at a home in Fort Lauderdale.
The incident occurred along Lauderdale Manors Drive.
Firefighters rushed to help the homeowner, who uses a wheelchair.
He told Local 10 News that he was the only person inside.
“I was sleeping,” he said. “I heard a pop, I woke up, it was smoking. I tried to get up from my chair and tried to get out. It was scary. I couldn’t get out.”
The homeowner said he left a candle on because power had been cut off and he believes that’s what led to the fire.
Fortunately, he wasn’t hurt, but his home was damaged.
The American Red Cross is now helping the homeowner with emergency financial assistance, along with health and mental health services.