MIAMI - A construction worker was electrocuted Tuesday while working on an elevator electrical system in Miami, authorities said.
The incident was reported just after noon at an apartment building that is under construction in the area of Northeast First Avenue and 30th Street.
City of Miami Fire-Rescue Capt. Ignatius Carroll said the victim was working on the interior elevator electrical system on the 24th floor of the building when the incident happened.
A fellow worker noticed something was wrong and ran over to help his colleague. But before he could get to him, the victim fell to the ground and stopped breathing, Carroll said.
The worker's colleagues performed CPR on him and brought him to the first floor.
He was unconscious and not breathing when authorities arrived.
Carroll said paramedics continued performing CPR on the victim as he was being taken to Jackson Memorial Hospital's Ryder Trauma Center. The worker died at the hospital.
The Fire Marshal, along with City of Miami Building officials, the Miami Police Department and Florida Power & Light representatives responded to the building after the incident.
Authorities said the Occupational Safety and Health Administration has also been contacted.
Operations at the building have since been halted. FPL has also cut power to the building.
Copyright 2018 by WPLG Local10.com - All rights reserved.