A Toronto man who opted for an Uber Friday night was accidentally charged $18,000 in Canadian currency for a 5-mile ride, reports UPI.
A receipt for the ride, which should have cost the rider around $10, was posted to his Instagram account. The price came out to $14,412 in American dollars.
- 3-D printing braces up sea turtle with gap in its shell
- Even without the buns, Trump's favorite fast-food meal is a diet-buster
- Bureaucratic bites: Inside China's government-run restaurants
- Man rescued after cementing head inside microwave
- Surgeon allegedly spoke on cellphone while performing operation
The man's friend, Emily Kannard, posted the receipt on her Twitter account after Uber said they wouldn't reimburse the passenger.
After several retweets and attention from news outlets, Uber finally backtracked and released a statement.
"There was an error here and it has been resolved. We have provided a full refund to this rider and apologized to him for this experience. We have safeguards in place to help prevent something like this from happening, and we are working to understand how this occurred."