PEMBROKE PARK, Fla. - The My Future My Choice Big Book Drive began with a bang at Charles R. Drew K-8 Center in Miami's Brownsville neighborhood.
With the help of A1A Transportation, Local 10 News delivered more than 400 books to students at the school with Ram pride. Tracie Abner, the school's principal, said her students love to read.
- Follow Big Book Drive school bus on Friday
- Donate to Local 10's Big Book Drive
- Local 10's Big Book Drive rolls through South Florida again
- Big Book Drive stop: Dr. Henry W. Mack/West Little River K-8 Center in…
- Big Book Drive heads to Vera in A1A transportation bus
- Big Book Drive travels to Fort Lauderdale school to provide books for students
- Big Book Drive continues journey to Lauderhill school
- Big Book Drive begins with stop at Miami school
- Local 10's Big Book Drive 2017
"Our reading scores are up because our kids are absolutely fantastic," Abner said.
Local 10 News also delivered some 500 books to the students at Dr. Henry W. Mack/West Little River Elementary School. Kimula Oce, the school's principal, said the visit was a good way for the children to end the school year.
"I read chapter books all the time," Tavares Brown, a student, said.
At Larkdale Elementary School in Fort Lauderdale, Local 10 News delivered about 500 more books. Carla Hart, the school's principal, said a lot of her students don't have books at home.
"What a great way to put books in students hands," Hart said.
Walker Elementary School students in Fort Lauderdale welcomed the bus with a pep rally and a marching band. Local 10 News delivered about 700 books.
Vera Motors in Pembroke Pines was the school bus' last stop. Louis Vera and his team at Vera Motors had about 130 books to donate.College Hunks Hauling Junk and Moving team loaded the books up, so Local 10 News can continue to deliver them.
The Big Book Drive continues: For more information on how to donate, click on this link.
Copyright 2017 by WPLG Local10.com - All rights reserved.